Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Occupy till I come





I was recently led to the scripture in Luke 19:13 where Jesus said "Occupy till I come." 
Here is a little study of those scriptures also known as "the parable of the pounds."

Luke 19


11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.


12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.


13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them,


   "Occupy till I come." (Bold mine)


14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this [man] to reign over us.


15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.


16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.


17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.


18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.


19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.


20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, [here is] thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin:


21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.


22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, [thou] wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:


23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?


24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give [it] to him that hath ten pounds.


25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)


26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.


27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay [them] before me.

------
In these scriptures Jesus is speaking about himself as the nobleman (our King) and He is telling his servants (you and me) that He will return to receive His kingdom (resurrection, rapture, 2nd coming, millennial reign). 

Jesus has "delivered" to us (10 servants / 5 wise and 5 foolish virgins) what we need in order to "occupy" and be about our Father's business. 

(Delivered= G1325- means to commission)
(Occupy= G423 -means to carry on a business).

Jesus delivered to His servants 10 pounds (the Great Commission, Holy Spirit / Word of God) and told us what to do until He returns. Invest in His kingdom means to reach out to the lost, feed the hungry, take care of the widows and orphans, cast out demons, heal the sick, raise the dead etc. 

And when He returns those who invested wisely and had their oil lamps filled (Mat 25) and were found doing what the Master said to be doing (Mat 24:46) will rule over cities and nations. We will rule as kings and priests with the Lord Jesus. (Rev 1:6 and 5:10.)

I also believe that the Lord wants us to live our life, work, pursue the talents He has given us and be the salt and light in the world and do it with love. 

I would be disingenuous if I said I did not think Jesus was coming soon, because I KNOW HE IS COMING VERY SOON. Until then, may we be found doing what our Master and Lord said to be doing and may our oil lamps be full!

In Christ, Sarah

7 comments:

  1. quote from above- "He gave His servants 10 pounds (Holy Spirit/ Word of God) and told us what to do until He returns. (Invest in His kingdom = reach the lost, feed the hungry, take care of the widows and orphans, cast out demons, heal the sick etc.)"

    I have a question. Who do you know that is doing these things? Think about it! Are you doing ALL of these things Jesus said we would do? No we are not! WHY???? God why is the church without power??!!! Send us your power Lord!! Intercessors please pray that God will send us His power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God doesn't have to send us power. When we accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior,we received all the power intended. Our responsibility is to keep Him activated through prayer, study of his word (the Bible), witnessing, praise and worship, serving etc...Do not forsake the fellowship together on Sunday, Bible class, prayer meetings and Sunday School. As one grows in knowledge
    understanding of our Christian worldview, lets strengthen one another. This list is not exhaustive, it's a great start. Pray for spiritual discernment! Jesus arose with all power...we're made in his image and likeness. Our power is Holy Spirit, indwelling, therefore we're never without power. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment Anonymous. You are correct, those who have received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit do have God's power. What I am really referring to is the faith to activate that power and I probably should have worded my above comment in that way to be more clear.

    Jesus said this-
    Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

    And the Apostle Paul said this-
    1Cr 2:4 And my speech and my preaching [was] not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

    Churches for the most part do not operate in the demonstration of the power of God.
    But they sure do have lots of bible studies and activities and fund drives for building a bigger church-- and so on-- but for the most part there is no DEMONSTRATION of the power of God.

    When was the last time someone was healed in your church after the elders were called together to pray over them??? (James 5:14)

    When was the last time the Pastor of your church called the new converts to the front (or even privately) to be prayed over for healing and deliverance of their wounds and for the consequences of the sin they had participated in before they accepted Jesus?? (Jer 6:14 NIV)

    When was the last time you saw a demon cast out?
    Have you ever participated or seen these things in your church?
    I would really like to hear your answer.

    Thanks! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently I am not alone in my opinion and observation that the church has a complete lack of power, strength and vigor--

    http://www.newswithviews.com/Daubenmire/dave267.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've given up on most of the churches in our area. It's hard to find even one that is willing to admit that there is such a thing as spiritual warfare, much less in the believer's ability to cast out devils and heal the sick! I've seen and experienced too many miracles in these areas myself, to ever go back to that kind of thinking!

    Sometimes I think that the next 'bubble' to burst in our economy, will be those big church buildings...

    Blessings to you,
    C. Dunamis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Many Christians just don't get it. All we have to do is read about the seven churches in Revelation and there we see just how far the church system has fallen. For this reason I don't go to church either. I worship the Lord in spirit and in truth, seeking Him and His word for all things.
      God bless!

      Delete

All comments are moderated. If you would not speak these words you are about to post to the Lord Jesus Christ, then maybe you should not post them. Otherwise I appreciate your comments and fellowship on this blog. Thanks! Sarah